Tuesday, June 15, 2010

One of those days...

It’s one of those days which you dread every moment of. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and then there’s me stuck inside on a lovely day with a heap of books piled in front you and exams looming in roughly 1 day and 17 hours. Studying through relaxation weather is really not my idea of fun, or even relaxing. It grinds on me and feels like a chore. The more pressing problem would be that it would help if I could actually understand what I was studying but as I read through Fourier series and incompressible fluids modelled by a weird equation I began to wonder if I was actually meant to do engineering in the first place.

Getting into this degree was kinda like an impulsive thing. "Oh look I have enough points for the highest point requirement degree, let's do that." Well, 4 months into this and I wonder whether I made the right choice. I spent a good part of my day downloading random crap that I will probably never use and looking at youtube videos of basketball highlights. I also googled fail cosplay of which if you have not done, you should have a look. It's interesting.

My first career idea was to be rich. Later on in life I realized that being rich was not a career, it is but a mere side effect of the career you choose. Having learnt that, I decided to choose the career which would give me the greatest magnitude of this side-effect narrowing my choices down to an investor or a white collar man wearing glasses who worked in an office.

Give me a break, I was about 10 at the time.

Since those blissfully ignorant days, I have learnt that there were these main areas or jobs that people go into. Engineers, accountants, doctors, professional sportsmen, sewage workers and Presidents were the categories that I made. I didn't know what engineering was apart from civil which involved a lot of rocks and beams and buildings. My mum is an accountant which eliminated that option for me. My mum also had a Bachelor of Medicine which eliminated that option for me as well. I REALLY didn't want to be a sewage worker. Presidents looked appealing but there were only a few of them. I passed on that. Then I learnt of architecture. "Ah-ha, I think I know what to do now." I then spent a good 7 or 8 months fantasizing about all the monuments and structures that I would design and the money I would make. Then I realized I was crap at drawing.

Ironically, it was back to the DRAWING board for me on professions. My horizons had broadened by then or so I thought and I decided I wanted to become an engineer. Nothing interesting to say about that apart from the fact I liked maths and physics despite how badly I was doing in physics.

Maybe that was an indication that of a reason why I shouldn't have done engineering.

One year later I wanted to be an actuary. For those of you who don't know what being an actuary is, just think of it as a VERY advanced bean counter who decides that counting beans is not enough so they go to counting grains of sand instead. Very productive and interesting.

Now at this moment in time I find myself in front of the computer staring blankly at equations and crop-circle like diagrams which make no sense. I've decided that I will persevere and stop PROCRASTINATING like I am doing right now. Good Night to you all.


2 comments:

  1. that seems like an alright way to decide what to do uni.

    too bad I still don't have a clue ):

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you don't have a clue then you can either:
    a) Talk to more people about what they do
    b) Do engineering :)

    ReplyDelete