Friday, June 18, 2010

I hate numbers, especially the floating point kind

One day an Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman walked into a pub together. They each bought a pint of Guinness. Just as they were about to enjoy their creamy beverage, three flies landed in each of their pints, and were stuck in the thick head. The Englishman pushed his beer away in disgust. The Scotsman fished the fly out of his beer, and continued drinking it, as if nothing had happened. The Irishman, too, picked the fly out of his drink, held it out over the beer, and started yelling, "SPIT IT OUT, SPIT IT OUT YOU BAS***RD!!!!"

Ah British humour, my favourite kind of humour. Many days I sit in front of my television and only see blunt and stupid jokes of which there is no depth, no racism, no inventiveness and most importantly, no ability to create laughs. The greatest ability of humour and jokes is the way we can laugh at ourselves and everyone around us of which can also be used as a form of reflection(this is of minor importance).

More importantly I am about to sit the most excruciatingly annoying and erroneous exam tomorrow.

It has a lot to do with numbers. Big numbers, small numbers, fat numbers thin numbers. Real numbers, floating point numbers, numbers of single precision, numbers of double precision binary numbers, bits, hexadecimal numbers and the list goes on. I always thought accountants were bad enough with their over 15 ways to count a dollar but when I came into engineering science OH BOY did I realize that I only caught a small glimpse of the world.

I think this is due to the fact that engineers, believing that they are a superior life form(me inclusive) decide that in order to segregate ourselves more from modern society, we need another counting and storage system. Not just one system in fact but several hundreds more of these cryptic data storage and arrangement methods which will leave many befuddled and unaware of their present self.

There is also the part we have to nitpick our own errors in these very so-called ingenious methods we have designed. And, as compliant with engineering characteristics, these errors cannot simply be defined as simply "mistakes". Instead, they are given sub-categories to promote and isolate them from the other errors.

The whole flippin' thing is an error if you ask me.

Anyway, I had a lot to write about before but I seem to have forgotten all of it in about the space of approximately 1010 seconds approximated using Lagrangian interpolation with a time step of about 0.001.

If you don't see me after tomorrow, just assume I got lost in the land of numbers.

2 comments:

  1. Accountants have 15+ ways to count a number? ... I need to reconsider changing majors.

    ReplyDelete