Saturday, August 14, 2010

Work, work...

As time wears on in the Department of Engineering, I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel to my first year at the University of Auckland.

Well, not quite but you know what I mean. What comes now is something I've always been bad at.

Planning ahead.

I've never been good at it. I've just always been too lazy to do something that's due in two days rather the night before wear my concentration levels sky rockets. That may explain my abysmal results last semester.

And for engineers, planning ahead involves getting an engineering job. Of course, this may seem simple and in truth it probably is a lot more than it should be.

However, I'm doing engineering science.

In all honesty, one of the main reasons I've been putting off finding a job is that I don't quite really know how to. If I was doing civil then sure, everyone knows what civil is. Everyone knows what electrical and software are as well. But when I tell someone that I'm doing engineering science, what generally follows is me saying: "No it's not a conjoint".

To graduate from engineering you would need 800 work hours, 400 general and 400 sub professional. The general 400 hours I'm fine with. It's the sub-professional that gets me.

Last semester I went on a field trip where I visited 2 companies and a power station. Sewage modelling is NOWHERE NEAR for where I plan for myself to go into. Also, if I go for an operations research job which requires excel modelling, it might not count towards my general 400 hours as engineers are very picky.

Thank god we're not like that with our food otherwise we'd all die of either starvation or malnutrition.

Either way I now find myself writing up my CV for a summer internship program at the engineering company OPUS which involves traffic modelling and storm water modelling and stuff. Not quite what I had planned but I guess if I view it as problem solving then it's seems better.

3 comments:

  1. what does engineering actually entail? the jobs all sound real boring to me :/ but people have told me to consider it at uni since I'm good at math/science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. engineering = solving problems
    thats the root of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized my spelling is abysmal in that post

    ReplyDelete